Established in 1962, Incorporated since 1963.
“Calling all Rock Hounds” That was the beginning of the Roanoke Valley Mineral and Gem Society in November of 1962. Since then the Roanoke Valley Mineral and Gem Society has been the hub of mineral and gem enthusiasts in the Southwest Valley ever since.
What RVMGS offers:
- Field Trips – Monthly collecting field trips from panning for gold to busting rocks in quarries and exploring historic mine locations.
- Educational Speakers – The Roanoke Valley Mineral and Gem Society holds monthly meetings on the second Thursday of each month at the O. Winston Link Museum in Roanoke, VA where one-half of the program agenda is dedicated to education on Minerals and Geology.
- Youth Club – This is where our youth members are encouraged to increase their appreciation and love of minerals and nature through our program’s field trips, and special activities.
- Lapidary workshop – The Roanoke Valley Mineral and Gem Society holds various lapidary classes where members can learn to cut raw stones, on the club’s machines, and make jewelry from the stones they cut.
- Annual Picknick – The Roanoke Valley Mineral and Gem Society holds an annual pick-nick where members gather to enjoy the like-minded company and swap mineral specimens as well as attend a club auction fundraiser.
- Scholarships – The Roanoke Valley Mineral and Gem Society supports a number of Local college scholarships to Radford University, James Madison University, and Virginia Tech’s Geology departments.
- Annual Mineral and Gem Show– The Roanoke Valley Mineral and Gem Society has hosted an annual Mineral and Gem show for over 40 years at the Salem Civic Center the Friday following Thanksgiving through that Sunday. This even offers shoppers access to custom and fine jewelry, prehistoric fossils, rare minerals from around the world, and free mineral identification by a certified geologist. This event is open to the public with ticket purchases.
For any further information or to learn more please Contact Us or drop by one of our meetings at the O. Winston Link Museum, Roanoke VA (free parking available in rear) held on the second Thursday of every month at 7:00pm .
RVMGS offers a Youth Club for members under the age of 18. This is where our youth members are encouraged to increase their appreciation, knowledge, and love of minerals and nature through our youth-aged programs, field trips, and special activities.
*Society Members under the age of 18 years can be members of the Junior club or Youth Club and must be a part of a current paid family membership. Junior Club members are allowed to attend Society functions and Field Trips where age is not a limiting factor. They must be accompanied by a parent or delegated adult who is also a current member and assumes full responsibility for the Junior Club member’s actions and conduct on Society functions and field trips.
What does a membership to the RVMGS provide?
– Active members experience a number of related benefits:
– Monthly Collecting Trips
– Knowledge from experienced leaders
– Educational Speakers
-Learn How Lapidary Workshops
– Mineral Identification
– Annual Picnic
– Annual Mineral and Gem Show Attendance
– Great Fellowship with Like Minded People
*click the Become A Member menu button at the top to learn more!
Our Mission is to promote and provide education and study of mineralogy, crystallography, paleontology, geology, gemology, and other allied earth sciences.
To Promote educational and recreational objectives through associations, meetings, field trips, exhibitions, and projects.